Founded in 1921, the Society for Science (Society), is a champion for science, dedicated to expanding scientific literacy, effective STEM education, and scientific research. Through its world-class competitions, including the Regeneron Science Talent Search, the Regeneron International Science and Engineering Fair, the Thermo Fisher Scientific Junior Innovators Challenge, and its award-winning magazines, Science News and Science News Explores, the Society, a nonprofit 501(c)(3) membership organization, is focused on promoting the understanding and appreciation of science and the vital role it plays in human advancement: to inform, education, and inspire.
Science News is seeking a Digital Engagement Producer to grow our online audience. The Digital Engagement Producer will work closely with the digital media team and other members of the editorial staff to ensure that each of our stories is relevant and reaches the broadest possible audience. We’re looking for someone who is science-curious and excited to learn more every day. The Digital Engagement Producer will need to produce stories on deadline and jump in and respond to WordPress tech questions from our writers as they make final edits. The Digital Engagement Producer will also engage directly with our followers on social platforms and must be willing and able to experiment with new approaches to promoting our content. At the same time, this person must remain vigilant about our high standards of credibility and excellence in journalism. A typical day on our team might involve reading one of our upcoming stories about black holes, strange animal behavior or ancient Egyptians. You’ll post the story to the web – pulling together the images, graphs and metadata to make that story come alive – and tell our social media audience why this story is important.
Whatever the challenge – and each day will bring a new one – the Digital Engagement Producer will collaborate with other science nerds to bring the latest discoveries of the scientific community into the public square.
We are looking for a creative, hardworking individual with a unique perspective. We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive, equitable environment for all employees. We especially encourage applicants from traditionally underrepresented communities, including people of color, LGBTQ+ people and people with disabilities to join our team.
You’ll be joining a group of creative, inquisitive people who come to science journalism from a diversity of backgrounds, education and experiences, and who are passionate about our work as independent nonprofit journalists.
This is a non-exempt position.
- Post articles via our CMS (WordPress)
- Promote stories using various social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Reddit, TikTok, any others that may arise)
- Serve as a technical expert on WordPress and social media platforms
- Use data to help editors understand which stories were shared widely, and why
- Advise editorial team on how to better present stories over search and social
- Edit and remix images and graphics for social media, particularly Instagram
- Edit video and remix it for social media, including YouTube, Instagram, and TikTok
- Collaborate on experiments to grow our audience on various platforms
- Produce and edit newsletters highlighting our content
- Organized and knows how to prioritize tasks
- Experience and expertise in using social media professionally
- Strong work ethic and time management skills
- Familiarity with Google Analytics and/or similar web analytics software
- Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop and Premiere Pro or similar visual editing programs
- Affinity for the mission of the Society for Science
- Exceptional communications skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to develop rapport with colleagues and external clients
While performing the duties of this job, the employee usually works in an office setting. Our office is located near the Dupont Circle and Farragut North Metro stations. Due to the pandemic, the Society is operating on a hybrid work schedule.
This position is based in Washington, DC. Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
Position Type and Expected Hours
This is a full-time, non-exempt position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday during normal office hours of the Society.
$55,000 – $65,000; salary commensurate with experience
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from a College or University or four years of related experience
- 1-3 years in digital news production
- Knowledge of WordPress
- Experience managing social feeds (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn)
- Excellent copy writing/editing skills, with an emphasis on social media writing
Society for Science has mandated the COVID-19 vaccine for employees coming into the office and attending Society events. Exceptions to the vaccine requirement may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons.
How to Apply
Submit a professional resume and cover letter to be considered for this position.
Please apply through Applicant Pro:
The Society is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Society for Science is committed to equal employment opportunity. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, the Society does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis, including but not limited to: veteran status, race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, ancestry, national origin, disability, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, age and/or any other categories protected by the laws of the United States or the District of Columbia.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover every duty, responsibility and activity that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.