Reporting directly to Chief Communications Officer, the Communications Associate will have 1-3 years of experience. The Communications Associate is responsible for writing news-driven and topical blog posts as well as evergreen content, in addition to pitching and placing news stories about Society programs.
The ideal candidate will have excellent writing and communications skills in addition to a passion for STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) and supporting the next generation of STEM talent.
Job duties include, but are not limited to
- Contributing regularly to the Society blog
- Pitching story ideas to media and securing coverage
- Maintaining contact databases and developing media lists
- Monitoring relevant print, broadcast and online coverage of Society issues and events
- Producing and sending the monthly staff newsletter
- Travel to all science competitions organized by the Society for Science is mandatory. (When travel is authorized.)
- Assisting with drafting press releases
- Provide social media support during events
- Coordinating with HR to adding/removing job positions for HR and keeping the Staff listing up-to-date
- Excellent writing skills, including the ability to write well on tight deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail and high standard of work output
- High level of professionalism and time management skills
- Proficiency in software and computer skills to include Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), Adobe Photoshop, WordPress, additional software applications as needed
- Ability to anticipate and respond to needs of the communications team
- A flexible, collaborative and collegial work style
- Preferred but not required: Video and/or photo editing skills
- Preferred but not required: Experience with social media and tools related to media outreach
Please note this job description is not designed to cover every duty, responsibility and activity that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- 1 to 3 years of related communications experience
How to apply
Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Emails should include “Communications Associate” in the subject line. No phone calls please. To learn more about Society for Science & the Public, please visit www.societyforscience.org.
Due to COVID-19 this position will work remotely until our offices reopen in Washington, D.C. The permanent work location for this position is in Washington, D.C. near the Dupont Circle and Farragut North Metro stations. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in an office setting. Occasional travel to organization events is required. (Once travel is authorized)
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday during normal office hours of the Society. Occasional travel to the science competitions and other events is necessary in this position.
The Society is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Society for Science & the Public is committed to equal employment opportunity. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, the Society does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis, including but not limited to: veteran status, race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identify or expression, ancestry, national origin, disability, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, age and/or any other categories protected by the laws of the United States or the District of Columbia.