Back in May, the Society hosted a Virtual Regeneron International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF) and welcomed the full, global scientific community to participate. We were thrilled to have over 18,000 registrants from 131 countries, regions and territories join us in this five-day celebration of STEM. While no awards were given at Virtual Regeneron ISEF 2020, we had more than 1,300 finalists share their research with the public. Our incredible programming for the week also featured discussions with the top minds in science including Nobel laureates, researchers working on COVID-19 treatments, Science News journalists covering the pandemic and engineers and entrepreneurs creating the future of technology and much more.
To keep the celebration going, we are happy to announce that all of the content is now available on our website. Below are some informative and inspiring sessions to not miss as you explore.
From Day 1:
- The Excellence in Science and Technology Panel featuring Elizabeth Blackburn, Martin Chalfie, Elissa Hallem, Cato Laurencin and W.E. Moerner
- The Women in STEM Panel featuring Frances Arnold, Dianne Newman and Monika Schleier-Smith
From Day 2:
- A conversation between Tina Hesman Saey and Feng Zhang about using CRISPR to fight COVID-19
- Catherine Havasi, Galen Hunt, Tom Leighton, Henry Samueli and Divya Nag discussing the role of technology during the pandemic
From Day 3:
- The Innovation and Entrepreneurship Panel with Society alumni Paige Brown, David Holz and Ramji Srinivasan
- The College Admissions Panel with representatives from MIT, Swarthmore College, University of Toronto and University of California San Diego
From Days 4 and 5:
- The final two days of Virtual Regeneron ISEF turned the focus to STEM education. Panels and discussions featured educators from our network, providing timely, practical programming on science education and supporting underserved students.
- The Research at Home sessions provide guidance for students looking to conduct authentic research outside of the traditional lab setting.