About STEM Action Grants
The Society aims to fund innovative organizations that support community based STEM projects, and whose work supports our mission. The Society’s prestigious middle and high school STEM competitions, and the award-winning journalism produced by our Science News Media Group, have lead countless individuals toward STEM fields over the past 75 years.APPLY NOW through May 15!
Society for Science & the Public is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) membership organization dedicated to public engagement in scientific research and education. Our vision is to promote the understanding and appreciation of science and the vital role it plays in human advancement: to inform, educate, and inspire. The Society’s STEM Action Grant is designed to award innovative organizations using creative solutions to do work that supports our mission—work that takes action to inform, educate and inspire people from all walks of life to pursue scientific endeavors. The Society awards STEM Action Grants of up to $5,000; applicants must meet the eligibility guidelines and criteria specified below.
Applicant organizations should meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Be a mission-driven organization whose goals align with the Society’s mission, including a science literate society
- Advocate for the general public’s increased understanding of STEM fields
- Aim to spark life-long interest in and appreciation for STEM fields through unique programming, and;
- Aim to increase participation of underrepresented populations in STEM fields through increased accessibility and exposure to science
Grant Applicants must:
- Represent a non-profit organization with a 501(c)(3) non-profit designation in the United States. School programs and clubs are encouraged to apply to the STEM Research Grant program, rather than the STEM Action Grant program.
- Serve minimally 25 people (of any age) in supporting STEM learning and experiences and not be managed by a student who remains eligible for Broadcom MASTERS, Regeneron ISEF, or the Regeneron STS.
- Organizations founded and/or managed by Society alumni are eligible if the alumni involved have aged out of competition eligibility.
- New and established organizations are eligible to apply. Organizations driven by entrepreneurial individuals are especially encouraged to apply.
- Applicants may request up to $5,000 in funding per calendar year. Total sum awarded is at the discretion of the Society’s selection committee.
- STEM Action Grant may be used toward operating costs, materials, equipment, travel and capacity-building projects.
- STEM Action Grant may be awarded up to 4 times to any organization. The Society may choose to reduce the amount awarded over time.
In addition to award funds, at a value designated by the Society, grantees will be featured on the Society’s blog, and will participate in virtual community events.
Grantees are required to post the Society’s name and logo on their websites, and to submit two reports each year.
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.