About STEM Action Grants
The Society aims to fund innovate nonprofit organizations that support community-based STEM projects, and whose work supports our mission of public engagement in scientific research and education. Since 2016, the Society has awarded $586,000 to 85 organizations wanting to improve access to STEM education.
Society for Science is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) membership organization dedicated to public engagement in scientific research and education. Our vision is to promote the understanding and appreciation of science and the vital role it plays in human advancement: to inform, educate, and inspire. The Society’s STEM Action Grant is designed to award innovative organizations using creative solutions to do work that supports our mission – work that takes action to inform, educate, and inspire people from all walks of life to pursue scientific endeavors. The Society awards STEM Action Grants of up to $5,000; applicants must meet the eligibility guidelines and criteria specified below.
The Society awards STEM Action Grants of up to $5,000 per cycle and eligible organizations are allowed to renew up to three times for a total of four years of support. New and established organizations are eligible to apply. Organizations driven by entrepreneurial individuals are especially encouraged to apply. Applicants must meet the eligibility guidelines and criteria specified below.
Applicant organizations must meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Be a mission-driven organization whose goals align with the Society’s mission, including a science literate society
- Advocate for the general public’s increased understanding of STEM fields
- Aim to spark life-long interest in and appreciation for STEM fields through unique programming
- Aim to increase participation of underrepresented populations in STEM fields through increased accessibility and exposure to science
- Represent a nonprofit organization with a 501(c)(3) designation in the United States. Teachers supporting student research are encouraged to apply for the STEM Research Grant program.
- Serve at least 25 people (of any age) in supporting STEM learning and experiences.
- Not be managed by a student who remains eligible for any of the Society’s competitions including Thermo Fisher Scientific Junior Innovators Challenge, Regeneron ISEF, or the Regeneron Science Talent Search. Organizations founded and/or managed by Society alumni are eligible if all of the alumni involved have aged out of competition eligibility.
- If you have previously received a STEM Research Grant, you are eligible to apply again. Each teacher may receive up to $5,000 every 3 years. Each school may also receive up to $5,000 every 3 years.
- Applicants may request up to $5,000 in funding per cycle. Total sum awarded is at the discretion of the Society’s selection committee.
- STEM Action Grant funds may be used toward operating costs, materials, equipment, travel, and capacity-building projects.
- The STEM Action Grant may be awarded up to 4 times to any one organization. The Society may choose to reduce the amount awarded over time.
- In addition to funds, at a value designated by the Society, grantees will be featured on the Society’s blog, and may participate in virtual or in-person community events.
- Grantees are required to post the Society’s name and logo on their websites and to submit two progress reports per cycle.
Questions? Email us at email@example.com.