The International Rules for Pre-college Science Research: Guidelines for Science and Engineering Fairs are published annually to support students doing independent research safely. The International Rules are the official rules of the Regeneron ISEF and students competing at Society-affiliated science fairs.
The purpose of these rules is to:
- protect the rights and welfare of the student researcher
- protect the rights and welfare of the human participant
- ensure adherence to federal regulations
- ensure use of safe laboratory practices
- protect the environment
- determine eligibility for competition in the Regeneron ISEF
Additional resources have been provided to support students conducting research under the special circumstances created by the COVID-19 pandemic. We have also highlighted some project ideas in a Research@ Home section on our site.
Additional Resources to Support Student Researchers
Use this wizard to help determine required documentation.
Read definitions of the 21 categories of Regeneron ISEF competition.
View the Display & Safety Rules
Get answers to common rules questions.
Find more information about dates and required forms.