We are still working during this time and welcome your communication! You may be interested in the new Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, which provides opportunities to support the Society. Here’s what you need to know.
Donor Advised Funds, IRA Rollovers, and Gifts of Stock are growing in popularity. And they are a great way to put the power and wonder of science into everyone’s hands.
Donor Advised Funds
NOTE: These are the standard IRA Rollover rules that were in effect prior to the CARES Act that was passed March 1, 2020 and will expire December 31st, 2020. For more about the impact of the CARES Act on IRA rollovers go here.
A donor advised fund (DAF) provides a flexible, philanthropic giving vehicle that provides attractive tax and administrative benefits to donors interested in maximizing their giving.
Distributions made to Society for Science & the Public through a donor advised fund may be put to the greatest need or designated to a specific program area: Science Competitions, Journalism, or Outreach & Equity.
Individual Retirement Account Charitable Rollovers
An IRA rollover enables you to transfer up to $100,000 (per individual) from your IRA, counting towards your required minimum distribution. The distribution will not count as taxable income, helping to keep you in a lower tax bracket whether or not you itemize deductions.
- You must be 70 ½ years old or older by year-end.
- The transfer must go directly from your IRA administrator to Society for Science & the Public.
- You may transfer up to a total of $100,000 as an individual, and a married couple may give up to $200,000.
- Your transfer must be executed by December 31 in order to count in the Society’s giving total for that year – so it is wise to give your administrator a couple of weeks to make the transfer happen.
To make your gift, you need to send two letters, one to your IRA custodian and the other to the Society for Science & the Public. Download Instructions
This information is not intended as legal, accounting or other professional advice.
Gifts of Stock
We are pleased to accept gifts of stock or securities.
To make a transfer, please instruct the broker or custodian to do the following:
Transfer the securities for the benefit of Society for Science & the Public
Depository Trust Company (DTC): 8862
Client Name: Society for Science & the Public
Tax ID: 53-0196483
Email the following information to email@example.com:
- Donors Name
- Address, phone, and email
- Number of shares transferred and name of the stock(s)
- Expected date of transfer
- Value of the stock at the time of the transfer
- Confirmation of the transfer
Gifts in Honor or Memory
For those wishing to make a tax-deductible contribution in honor or memory of someone, please send a check payable to “Society for Science & the Public” with the name of the individual on the memo line.
Attn: Bruce Makous
Society for Science & the Public
1719 N Street NW
Washington, DC 20036
For those wishing to make a contribution by credit card they may call Eric Olson at (202) 868-4850.