- This Society Alumni Network, powered by Graduway, is offered and available to users who are 14 years of age and older.
- Users agree not to use the Society Alumni Network in any way that violates any applicable federal, state, local or international law or regulation, including, without limitation, any laws regarding export of data or software to and from the United States or other countries.
- Society for Science & the Public does not conduct background checks on participants.
- Registration and approval for these communities is subject to the sole discretion of the Society and is not an individual’s automatic right as an alumnus.
- The Society will occasionally update this Code of Conduct in its sole discretion. Any changes to the Code of Conduct will be posted in this document.
As a participant, I agree to/that:
- Show respect for fellow participants on all platform mediums, including but not limited to the newsfeed, discussion forums, and private messages. Discussions on the Society’s social media platforms and online communities are meant to stimulate conversation not to create contention. I will let others have their say, just as I may.
- The Society and other participants have the right to reproduce postings.
- Send my message only to the most appropriate platforms. I will not spam several tools with the same message.
- Transparency is very important in gaining trust in online relationships. I will therefore be clear who I am and who I work for when posting on any platform. This means including my real name in my profile along with disclosing my employer. Anonymous activity is not permitted. I will not try to impersonate or attempt to impersonate another user or any other person or entity (including, without limitation, by using e-mail addresses or user names associated with any of the foregoing.)
I also agree not to use the Society Alumni Network:
- In any way that is libelous, defamatory, obscene, threatening, offensive, demeaning, derogatory, disparaging, abusive, or off-topic
- To degrade others on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual preference, disability, or other classification.
- For the purpose of exploiting, harming or attempting to exploit or harm minors in any way by exposing them to inappropriate content, asking for personally identifiable information or otherwise.
I agree that:
- I represent that I have graduated high school or am at least eighteen years’ old
- I understand and agree that as a mentor/mentee I am acting in my own individual capacity and not acting as a representative of, or on behalf of, the mentor/mentee’s employer, professional society, a sponsor or anyone else.
- I expressly acknowledge and agree that I am participating voluntarily in the Society Alumni Network and that Society for Science & the Public is not responsible for my actions or the actions of other participants.
- If a mentor/mentee expresses unwillingness or discomfort with a particular topic of conversation or engagement, the pursuer will promptly cease and desist.
- If I observe or feel that I am being mistreated or am subject to behavior that violates the community standards and code of conduct, I shall promptly report my observations to Society staff at firstname.lastname@example.org
Intellectual Property and Commercial Activity
I agree that:
- All copyrights appearing on the site belong to their respective owners.
- I will use caution when discussing products or intellectual property. Information posted on any platform is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- I will not infringe any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other intellectual property or other rights of any other person.
- I will use the Society Alumni Network for my personal, non-commercial use only. I will not post messages that involve commercial activities or sales, such as contests, fundraising, sweepstakes and other sales promotions, barter or advertising. I will also not solicit participants for chain letters, junk mail, pyramid schemes or any other form of solicitation.
The Society may send communications about its programs and publications. These communications may include solicitations and/or subscription offers. Users may opt-out by clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email communication. The only instance where an unsubscribe link would not be included would be an email sent as direct correspondence from a Society staff person.
To learn more about privacy policies you are protected by, please review:
- Facebook Terms of Service
Breach and violations of community standards and code of conduct may result in removal/ban from the Society Alumni Network.
Notification of Changes and Acceptance of User Agreement