Science News, published by the non-profit Society for Science & the Public, is currently seeking a talented copy editor and production coordinator to join our science journalism team. We are looking for someone with exceptional organizational skills, whose passion for grammar, style and accuracy will help maintain the highest quality in our print, tablet and online publications. We offer a competitive financial package and fast-paced, collaborative working environment. This is a full-time staff position located in Washington, D.C.
- Help prepare articles for publication on the ScienceNews.org website, for the tablet edition and for the print magazine.
- Copy edit and fact check daily news stories, correcting errors in grammar, spelling, usage and style.
- Copy edit and/or proofread department and feature articles.
- Write story headlines, decks, image captions and social media summaries as needed.
- Assist in image research and selection, coordinating with editors, writers and design team about art.
- Coordinate proofreading of pages for tablet and print publications.
- Collate and enter changes to proof pages for tablet and print publications.
- Working with writers, editors and fact-checker, resolve queries and conflicting edits on proof pages.
- Working with the Editor in Chief, get final sign-off on all pages prior to publication.
- Under the direction of the managing editor and in coordination with the design director, monitor the production process for all Science News products to ensure it is proceeding on schedule.
This position reports to the Editor in Chief.
Qualifications: Understanding of the practice of journalism. Multitasking abilities. Strong writing skills and interest in science required. College degree in journalism with a background in science preferred. Expertise in AP Style and proven skill in editing, grammar and punctuation are required. Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite preferred. Must be comfortable reading primary scientific literature for fact checking and nurture a total commitment to accuracy.
To apply: Please send a cover letter, resume and 3 to 5 samples of professional work (writing clips, editing clips, website links, etc.), attention Eva Emerson, at email@example.com. Top candidates will be contacted for interviews.
This is a full-time position.