Society for Science is dedicated to expanding scientific literacy, access to STEM education and scientific research for more than 100 years. As a nonprofit 501(c)(3) membership organization, our mission promotes the understanding and appreciation of science and the vital role it plays in human advancement: to inform, educate, and inspire. We are best known for our award-winning magazine, Science News, our world class science research competitions and our outreach and equity STEM Programs making sure that every young person can strive to become an engineer or scientist.
The Society is looking for a Specialist to support the Science Education Programs team. Once filled, the official title for this position will be the Thermo Fisher JIC Specialist.
We value strong analytical and interpersonal skills, and the ability to contribute to a fast-paced environment as an individual and as part of a team.
The Specialist supports all aspects of the Thermo Fisher Scientific Junior Innovators Challenge, the Society for Science’s premier national middle school STEM research competition. As a member of the Science Education Programs team, the Specialist for the Thermo Fisher JIC competition supports and serves students, teachers, fair directors, and parents by assisting with affiliation of nearly 300 middle school science fairs in the Society’s domestic affiliated fair network, editing and trouble-shooting the online application system, and managing constituent data from over 1,500 applicants annually. The Specialist will take an active role in helping the Thermo Fisher JIC Director plan and execute the Thermo Fisher JIC Finals Week, where 30 finalists and their parents/guardians are invited to Washington, DC for the competition in mid-late October each year. This position will report to the Thermo Fisher JIC Director.
This is a non-exempt position.
- Provides administrative support for the Thermo Fisher JIC program and the Science Education department. This includes responding to phone and e-mail inquiries, supporting mailings and data entry needs, taking meeting notes, and assisting in administrative and accounting paperwork.
- Provides direct support preparing for and during Finals Week, including attending site visits, preparing print materials,
- Manages customer service and communications with students, teachers, principals, and parents to promote the competition and encourage students to apply.
- Builds tools to support students, parents/guardians, and educators through the application process, such as advice videos, live webinars, webpages, surveys and email campaigns.
- Maintains relevant and accurate constituent data that is used for promotional materials and is shared with external partners like sponsors and the media.
- Supports the organization, planning, and execution of the competition finals week, which takes place in mid-late October and requires on-site attendance at a DC hotel for the duration of the week.
- Aids in editing the application (including content and maintaining the online application system) and processing submitted applications through internal and external reviews.
- Completes other projects and duties in support of the Science Education Programs department as assigned.
- Attends all education programs, which requires at least 2 weeks of travel annually, including the Regeneron Science Talent Search and Regeneron International Science and Engineering Fair.
- Shares the Society’s commitment to equity and inclusion, helping make programmatic updates when needed to meet the Society’s goals.
Job Specific Qualifications
- Strong computer proficiency including Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Data management experience
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to think creatively.
- Demonstrated ability to work with others as a team, to multi-task, and to be a self-starter.
- Affinity for the mission of the Society for Science
- Exceptional communications skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to develop rapport with colleagues and external clients.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of two years’ work experience. Years of experience may be substituted for education.
- A degree in education or a STEM field
- Experience with event organization and volunteer management.
- An interest in or experience with non-profit management
- Database knowledge (Access, The Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce, or other database software) and experience with online application and evaluation systems
While performing the duties of this job, the employee usually works in an office setting. Our office is located near the Dupont Circle and Farragut North Metro stations. Due to the pandemic, the Society is operating on a hybrid work schedule.
Position Type and Expected Hours
This is a full-time, non-exempt position. The normal business hours of the Society are 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. EST, with core hours of 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. EST.
Society for Science has mandated the COVID-19 vaccine for employees coming into the office and attending Society events. Exceptions to the vaccine requirement may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons.
How to Apply
Submit a professional resume and cover letter to be considered for this position.
Please apply through Applicant Pro: https://www.applicantpro.com/openings/societyforscience/jobs/3023277-560473
The Society is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Society for Science & the Public is committed to equal employment opportunity. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, the Society does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis, including but not limited to: veteran status, race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identify or expression, ancestry, national origin, disability, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, age and/or any other categories protected by the laws of the United States or the District of Columbia.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover every duty, responsibility and activity that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.