Society for Science is a non‐profit membership organization dedicated to public engagement in scientific research and education. We have an immediate opening for a .Net Developer, and this person will report to the Director of Web Applications. The successful candidate will support existing technologies, develop new solutions, and initiate process improvements. The ability to identify and resolve software problems quickly and to adapt to emerging technologies is required.
This is an exempt position.
- Design, build, and test custom enterprise application software solutions
- Troubleshoot production issues, perform root cause analysis, and implement solutions
- Work with internal staff and external vendors to document business rules/requirements
- Migrate data between environments
- Deploy database scripts to support application changes
- Use SQL Server monitoring utilities and management tools to identify, track, and resolve database‐ related bottlenecks and incidents
- Ensure all SQL Servers meet standardized security requirements and accepted industry best practices
- Run ad hoc queries to select, insert, and update data or analyze server, database, and table information as needed
- Take an enhancement through the entire life cycle of analysis, design, coding, testing, implementation, and support
- Develop, code, install, test, debug, maintain, and document web applications
- Diagnose and troubleshoot problems with existing web applications and sites
- Implement all aspects of an application design, high‐performance design, coding, caching mechanisms, security, encryption, state management, error logging, debugging, scalability, code reviews, development environment configuration, and testing
- Analyze requirements and develop functional and technical specifications
- Strong background in identifying, analyzing, troubleshooting, and resolving complex problems
- Maintain and modify legacy code in existing web apps
- Strong understanding of Object‐Oriented Programming concepts and best practices, with a working knowledge of Object‐Oriented Design and Software Development concepts using Microsoft Technologies.
- Familiarity with design patterns and software development life cycle desired.
- Professional, self‐starter with the ability to multi‐task and troubleshoot and great attention to detail.
- A strong desire to learn new and innovative technologies.
- Completion of a formal training program beyond high school or have earned an Associate degree (Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field preferred). Significant, relevant experience may serve as a substitute for this requirement.
- Experience coding multi‐layered .NET web applications in a Windows environment.
- Experience developing for SQL Server, including writing custom queries, views, triggers, stored procedures, and indexes
- Experience with relational database concepts, including experience in data normalization, data modeling, and user‐defined functions.
- Excellent analytical, conceptual, and problem‐solving abilities; keen attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to interact with project leads, developers, and other team members.
- Excellent documentation and organizational skills.
- Ability to present ideas in business & user language.
- Helpful to have experience working in an agile development environment.
No supervisory responsibility
While performing the duties of this job, the employee usually works in an office setting. Our office is located near the Dupont Circle and Farragut North Metro stations. Due to the pandemic, the Society is operating on a hybrid work schedule.
Position Type and Expected Hours
This is a full-time, exempt position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday during normal office hours of the Society. Light travel for some of the organization’s events is necessary in this position.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree (or 5+ years equivalent work experience) in Information Technology (IT), Computer Science (CS), Software Engineering, or a related discipline, desired.
- 5+ years of overall IT/software development experience required
- 3+ years of recent web application development within .NET technologies including ASP .NET, WCF, and Microsoft MVC Framework (MVC3 and higher)
- 3+ years of C# development required.
Society for Science has mandated the COVID-19 vaccine for employees coming into the office and attending Society events. Exceptions to the vaccine requirement may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons.
How to Apply
Submit a professional resume and cover letter to be considered for this position.
Please apply through Applicant Pro https://www.applicantpro.com/openings/societyforscience/jobs/2660115-560473
The Society is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Society for Science is committed to equal employment opportunity. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, the Society does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis, including but not limited to: veteran status, race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identify or expression, ancestry, national origin, disability, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, age and/or any other categories protected by the laws of the United States or the District of Columbia.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover every duty, responsibility and activity that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.