Society for Science is dedicated to expanding scientific literacy, access to STEM education and scientific research for more than 100 years. As a nonprofit 501(c)(3) membership organization, our mission promotes the understanding and appreciation of science and the vital role it plays in human advancement: to inform, educate, and inspire. We are best known for our award-winning magazine, Science News, our world class science research competitions and our outreach and equity STEM Programs making sure that every young person can strive to become an engineer or scientist.
The Manager of Digital Fundraising is an integral member of the Advancement Department and is responsible for leading and implementing strategic initiatives for digital fundraising campaigns, including email, social media, web elements, and SMS.
Reporting to the Director of Annual Giving and Membership and this position works closely with a collaborative team of fundraising and engagement professionals. Together this team is building the major donor pipeline, discovering new prospects, and engaging members, subscribers, science competition alumni, and more through our world-renowned programs.
We value strong analytical and interpersonal skills, and the ability to contribute to a fast-paced environment as an individual and as part of a team.
To perform the job successfully, the candidate should be able to demonstrate:
- Experience with best practices related to digital engagement and fundraising.
- Experience creating campaigns including narrative, copy, and design.
- Experience with marketing software and tools such as: Microsoft Dynamics (CRM), Mongoose Cadence (text), Microsoft Marketing (email), Canva (design) or similar programs.
- Working knowledge of WordPress and HTML/CSS.
- High attention to detail and demonstrated proactive approach to daily tasks.
This position will report to the Director of Annual Giving and Membership.
This is a non-exempt position.
- Work with Advancement Team, leadership, and outside vendors and consultants to execute strategies that increase digital fundraising revenue, and constituent engagement.
- Create email (Microsoft Marketing), website, and text messaging campaigns (Mongoose Cadence).
- Manage web elements of all digital fundraising campaigns, including landing pages, donation and membership pages, peer to peer giving, surveys, and general Society website pages.
- Develop, design, and implement digital campaigns and appeals (using Microsoft Marketing).
- Coordinate with communications and publishing staff on execution and strategy for all engagement emails, including organization-wide email communications to all audiences.
- Manage outreach email calendar and constituent selection across departments.
- Advise on digital aspects for all advancement programs, including major gifts, direct mail, institutional giving, and alumni outreach, using effective strategies and techniques in email marketing, website promotion, and other digital channels.
- Analyzes the effectiveness of digital fundraising campaigns and digital presence against industry benchmarks.
- Develop revenue and expense budgets for digital fundraising.
- Manage the Society’s sustaining donor program.
- Analyze and track data using Microsoft Dynamics database.
- Support the Advancement Department at events and activities including the International Science and Engineering Fair (for example, May 12-17, 2024 in Los Angeles).
- Assist with improving data integrity and providing general administrative support.
- Bachelor’s degree and 4-6 years of related digital fundraising experience.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite: Teams, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.
- Affinity for the mission of the Society for Science.
- Exceptional communications skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to develop rapport with colleagues and external clients.
No supervisory responsibility.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee usually works in an office setting. Our office is located near the Dupont Circle and Farragut North Metro stations. Society for Science is operating on a hybrid work schedule, which includes two days in the office per week.
Position Type and Expected Hours
The normal business hours of the Society are 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. EST,
with core hours of 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. EST.
Full-time, non-exempt position.
$70,000 – $80,000; salary is commensurate with experience.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years of related digital fundraising experience.
Society for Science has mandated the COVID-19 vaccine for employees coming into the office and attending Society events. Exceptions to the vaccine requirement may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons.
How to Apply
Submit a professional resume and cover letter to be considered for this position.
Please apply through Applicant Pro:
Society for Science is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Society for Science is committed to equal employment opportunity. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, the Society does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis, including but not limited to: veteran status, race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identify or expression, ancestry, national origin, disability, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, age and/or any other categories protected by the laws of the United States or the District of Columbia.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover every duty, responsibility and activity that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.