Events and Operations Technician
Society for Science is dedicated to expanding scientific literacy, access to STEM education and scientific research for more than 100 years. As a nonprofit 501(c)(3) membership organization, our mission promotes the understanding and appreciation of science and the vital role it plays in human advancement: to inform, educate, and inspire. We are best known for our award-winning magazine, Science News, our world class science research competitions and our outreach and equity STEM Programs making sure that every young person can strive to become an engineer or scientist.
The Society seeks an Events and Operations Technician. As a member of the Events and Operations Department, this person will report to the Chief of Event Planning and Operations. The Events and Operations Department Is an 8-person team that provides general support for the whole organization as well as with our external events and Educational Programs.
- Inventory Management/Shipping and Receiving/Freight Management
- Ship packages via UPS, USPS and FedEx daily
- Manage billing
- Produce daily reports
- Pick up and distribute mail via USPS daily
- Receive FedEx, UPS, freight, and USPS packages/mail from carriers daily
- Check in materials to ensure accurate counts and satisfactory condition
- Follow up with internal partners as to arrival status and location of items
- Add to inventory in Airtable (the Society’s inventory management system) if warranted/or update Teams
- Support the Events and Operations Specialist in overall warehouse management
- Ensure that inventory is always accurate and up-to-date
- Label and place all materials in their rightful place
- Retrieve and mark off all Society owned items from venues and return to inventory
- Procure office supplies and distribute as needed
- Meetings and Event Support
- Provide on-site support during meetings and conferences including
- Assemble, procure, and itemize materials for upcoming events
- Move materials via truck to and from warehouse to venues
- Place materials in correct locations on the expected day/time
- Set up and strike tables, chairs, graphics etc
- Move materials and swag between venues
- Provide logistics support for all internal meetings Mailings Support
- Enter and track all mailings and materials in Teams
- Ensure that the mailing schedule is met Other duties in support of the team include on occasion
- Cover team’s inbox
- Covering the switchboard
- Providing customer support for building operations including requests for supplies, office set ups, ensuring the buildings are in good working order
- Assist staff with office moves including moving boxes and furniture
- Set up and strike chairs and tables for internal event
- Must be able to work extended hours during peak seasons
- Must be able to work approximately six weekends during the year in support of the organization’s programs including 2 weeks a year away from the DC area
- Detail oriented with strong organization skills
- Must be a self-starter
While performing the duties of this job, the employee usually works in an office / warehouse setting. Our office is located near the Dupont Circle and Farragut North Metro stations.
- Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds and have the ability to walk up stairs (The Society is housed in two townhouses with no elevator available)
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to talk and hear.
Position Type and Expected Hours
This is a full-time in person position. Days and hours are Monday through Friday during normal office hours of the Society. The normal business hours of the Society are 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. EST.
Required Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or GED
- Driver’s License
- Clean driving record
- Ability to drive a forklift and a box truck preferred.
- Experience with Outlook, Word, Excel, Microsoft Teams
How to Apply
Please apply through Applicant Pro: https://www.applicantpro.com/openings/societyforscience/jobs/2802724-560473
Submit a professional resume and cover letter to be considered for this position.
The Society is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Society for Science is committed to equal employment opportunity. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, the Society does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis, including but not limited to: veteran status, race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identify or expression, ancestry, national origin, disability, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, age and/or any other categories protected by the laws of the United States or the District of Columbia.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover every duty, responsibility and activity that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.