Reporting directly to Chief Communications Officer, the Digital Content Associate will be responsible for developing and maintaining accurate, impactful content for the Society’s website, member newsletters, and other communication channels, ensuring that stakeholders and the public have accurate, engaging information about our programs. The Digital Content Associate is responsible for writing news-driven and topical blog posts as well as coordinating evergreen content. The position requires constant cross-departmental coordination, with a particular emphasis on collaboration with the Marketing team. The Digital Content Associate must be an excellent storyteller, even under deadline pressure.
This is a full-time position, Monday to Friday. Our office is located near the Dupont Circle and Farragut North Metro stations. Occasional travel to the science competitions and other events is necessary in this position. This position will be work from home until August 31, 2020, with possible extensions.
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
- Contributing regularly to the Society blog, including attending Society virtual and in-person events and competitions for blog coverage. He/she will work closely with the blog editor to develop, edit and publish stories and other evergreen content.
- Pitching story ideas to media and securing coverage.
- Managing the Society’s monthly member newsletter, including creating content, scheduling the send and tracking analytics.
- Producing and sending the monthly staff newsletter.
- Providing social media support.
- Maintaining contact databases and developing media lists.
- Travel to all science competitions organized by the Society for Science & the Public is mandatory, once travel is resumed.
- Monitoring relevant print, broadcast, and online coverage of Society issues and events.
- Assisting with drafting press releases.
- Coordinating with HR to adding/removing job positions for HR and keeping the Staff listing up-to-date.
- Excellent writing skills, including the ability to write well on tight deadlines.
- Excellent attention to detail and high standard of work output.
- High level of professionalism and time management skills.
- Proficiency in software and computer skills to include Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), Adobe Photoshop, WordPress, additional software applications as needed.
- Ability to anticipate and respond to needs of the communications team
- A flexible, collaborative and collegial work style.
- Preferred but not required: Video and/or photo editing skills.
Required Education and Experience
- BA degree required
- 1 to 3 years of related experience required
How to apply:
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Emails should include “Digital Content Associate” in the subject line. They can be addressed to Gayle Kansagor, Chief Communications Officer. No phone calls please. To learn more about Society for Science & the Public, please visit www.societyforscience.org.
The Society is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Society for Science & the Public is committed to equal employment opportunity. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, the Society does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis, including but not limited to: veteran status, race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identify or expression, ancestry, national origin, disability, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, age and/or any other categories protected by the laws of the United States or the District of Columbia.