The Development Associate for Institutional Giving provides support for all institutional giving fundraising activities. Institutional Giving at the Society is a highly entrepreneurial team run cross-departmentally out of both Advancement and the Executive Office. The Society’s institutional partners include foundations, corporations, government agencies, associations, and other entities. The Development Associate primarily reports to the Director of Grants Administration in the Advancement Department with a secondary report to Director of Philanthropic Partnerships in the Executive Office.
The Development Associate will be a key part of a fast-paced office of seasoned development professionals, advancing an organization that excels in cutting-edge science journalism, STEM education and science competition experiences for middle school and high school students around the world.
- Support the entire institutional giving cycle (identification, cultivation, solicitation, reporting and stewardship) across the organization, with an emphasis on identification and stewardship.
- Research potential new institutional giving funders based on the Society’s needs.
- Prepare materials for internal and external meetings and communications.
- Enter data into the fundraising database, including contacts, action items, gifts, prospect information, appeal and solicitation coding, award payments and gift agreements.
- Draft proposals, applications and reports and track sponsor benefit fulfillment.
- Prepare fundraising pipeline reports.
- Maintain the calendar for all key institutional giving deadlines, especially proposal and report due dates.
- Provide in-person support for events related to Institutional Giving, particularly during ISEF.
- Work with the Accounting team to reconcile data and reporting about institutional gift commitments and payments.
- Maintain institutional donor contact lists and published listings.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and highly organized.
- High level of professionalism and time management capacities.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and project management software.
- Proficiency in Raiser’s Edge, Microsoft Dynamics or comparable donor management software. Familiarity with cloud-based content management, collaboration and file sharing software a plus.
- Familiarity with prospect research tools (Foundation Directory, Candid/Guidestar, iWave, Research Point or similar systems).
- Demonstrated ability to work with others as a team, to multi-task and to be a self-starter.
- Understanding of and affinity for the core values of the Society.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee usually works in an office setting. Our office is located near the Dupont Circle and Farragut North Metro stations. Due to the pandemic, the Society has a temporary remote work policy until at least September 5, 2022, and is likely transitioning to a hybrid work model.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to operate a computer and other office equipment.
Position Type and Expected Hours
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday during normal office hours of the Society. Up to 10 percent travel to the Society’s science research competitions and other events is necessary in this position.
Required Education and Experience
- 2-3 years’ experience in development/fundraising or related experience.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
Society for Science has mandated the COVID-19 vaccine for employees coming into the office and attending Society events. Exceptions to the vaccine requirement may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons.
How to Apply
Please apply through Applicant Pro https://www.applicantpro.com/openings/societyforscience/jobs/2434734-560507
To be considered for this position please upload a professional resume and cover letter in the Applicant Pro system.
The Society is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Society for Science is committed to equal employment opportunity. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, the Society does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis, including but not limited to: veteran status, race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, ancestry, national origin, disability, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, age and/or any other categories protected by the laws of the United States or the District of Columbia.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover every duty, responsibility and activity that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.