Reporting directly to Chief Communications Officer, the Communications Specialist will have 3-5 years of full-time professional work experience. The Communications Specialist assists with the coordination of Society for Science’s communication efforts, including developing impactful content for the Society’s blog and Annual Report, as well as sharing our story with reporters.
The ideal candidate will have excellent writing and communications skills in addition to a passion for STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) and supporting the next generation of STEM talent.
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
- Pitching story ideas to media and securing coverage
- Drafting blog posts
- Posting press releases to the Society website
- Provide social media support
- Manage annual report development
- Managing the Society’s monthly member newsletter, including creating content, scheduling the send and tracking analytics
- Assist with drafting press releases
- Conducting background research on media outlets and other third-party stakeholders
- Maintaining contact databases and developing media lists
- Attending events. Travel to all science competitions organized by the Society for Science is mandatory. (When travel is authorized)
- Monitoring relevant print, broadcast and online coverage of Society issues and events
- Excellent attention to detail and high standard of work output
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- High level of professionalism and time management skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint and Excel)
- Preferred but not required: proficiency in Photoshop and WordPress
- A flexible, collaborative and collegial work style
Due to COVID-19 this position will work remotely until our offices reopen in Washington, D.C. The permanent work location for this position is in Washington, D.C. located near the Dupont Circle and Farragut North Metro stations. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in an office setting. Occasional travel to organization events is required. (Once travel is authorized)
Required Education and Experience
- BA degree or equivalent experience
- 3-5 years of full-time professional work experience
Please note this job description is not designed to cover every duty, responsibility and activity that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
How to Apply
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Emails should include “Communications Specialist” in the subject line. No phone calls please. To learn more about Society for Science & the Public, please visit www.societyforscience.org.
The Society is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Society for Science & the Public is committed to equal employment opportunity. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, the Society does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis, including but not limited to: veteran status, race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identify or expression, ancestry, national origin, disability, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, age and/or any other categories protected by the laws of the United States or the District of Columbia.