Society for Science has been dedicated to expanding scientific literacy, access to STEM education and scientific research for more than 100 years. Our mission promotes the understanding and appreciation of science and the vital role it plays in human advancement: to inform, educate, and inspire. We are best known for our award-winning magazine, Science News, our world class science research competitions and our outreach and equity STEM Programs making sure that every young person can strive to become an engineer or scientist.
Make an impact on the next generation of scientists by joining the Society’s Communications team as a Communications Associate.
Reporting directly to the Chief Communications Officer, the Communications Associate will have 2-3 years of experience. The Communications Associate is responsible for writing news-driven and topical blog posts as well as evergreen content, in addition to pitching and placing news stories about Society programs.
The ideal candidate will have excellent writing and communications skills in addition to a passion for STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) and supporting the next generation of STEM talent.
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
- Contributing regularly to the Society blog.
- Pitching story ideas to media and securing coverage.
- Maintaining contact databases and developing media lists
- Monitoring relevant print, broadcast and online coverage of Society issues and events.
- Producing and sending the monthly staff newsletter
- Assisting with drafting press releases.
- Collaborating with other departments to create photography shot lists for the Society’s events.
- Travel to all science competitions organized by the Society for Science is mandatory.
- Excellent writing skills, including the ability to write well on tight deadlines.
- Excellent attention to detail and high standard of work output.
- 2-3 years’ communications experience.
- High level of professionalism and time management skills.
- Proficiency in software and computer skills, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), Adobe Photoshop, WordPress, additional software applications as needed.
- Ability to anticipate and respond to communications needs across organization.
- A flexible, collaborative, and collegial work style.
- Preferred but not required: Video and/or photo editing skills.
- Preferred but not required: Experience with social media and tools related to media outreach.
- Affinity for the mission of the Society for Science
- Exceptional communications skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to develop rapport with colleagues and external clients.
No supervisory responsibilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in an office or home office setting. Our office is located near the Dupont Circle and Farragut North Metro stations. Due to the pandemic, the Society is currently operating on a hybrid work model. Occasional travel to organization events is required.
Position Type and Expected Hours
This is a full-time, non-exempt position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday during normal office hours of the Society, which are 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. EST, with core hours of 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. EST. Occasional travel to science competitions and other events is necessary in this position.
Required Education and Experience
- 2-3 years of experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
This role’s work involves remaining in a stationary position most of the time in front of a computer, using a keyboard, mouse, and telephone. It also involves regularly operating a computer and other office equipment, occasionally moving about the work site to access file cabinets office equipment and communicating or exchanging information with co-workers and other individuals in person or electronically. Must be able to travel.
Society for Science has mandated the COVID-19 vaccine for employees coming into the office and attending Society events. Exceptions to the vaccine requirement may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons.
How to Apply
Submit a professional resume and cover letter to be considered for this position.
Please apply through Applicant Pro: https://www.applicantpro.com/openings/societyforscience/jobs/2955122-560473
The Society is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Society for Science is committed to equal employment opportunity. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, the Society does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis, including but not limited to: veteran status, race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identify or expression, ancestry, national origin, disability, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, age and/or any other categories protected by the laws of the United States or the District of Columbia.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover every duty, responsibility and activity that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.