The Associate Specialist is someone who thrives in a fast-paced and dynamic environment, and takes initiative to seek out information, knowledge, and development proactively. The Associate Specialist is someone who works well with others and is great at multitasking.
The Associate Specialist will support the multiple education competitions and outreach programs in managing processes and tasks to successful completion.
This is a non-exempt position.
About Society for Science
Society for Science is dedicated to the achievement of young scientists in independent research and to public engagement in science. Established in 1921, the Society is a nonprofit whose vision is to promote the understanding and appreciation of science and the vital role it plays in human advancement. Through its world-class competitions, including the Regeneron Science Talent Search, the Regeneron International Science and Engineering Fair, the Broadcom MASTERS, and its award-winning magazine, Science News and Science News Explores, Society for Science is committed to inform, educate, and inspire.
- Provides administrative support for the Science Education department. This includes responding to phone and e-mail inquiries, supporting mailings, travel and data entry and management needs, and assisting in administrative and accounting paperwork.
- Supports customer service and communications with middle and high school educators, district coordinators and students.
- Supports the organization, planning, and execution of the outreach programs and competitions.
- Supports accounting documentation and tracking for student awardees, grantees and evaluators and judges for timely and accurate payments.
- Aids in the processing of online applications for the Society’s programs throughout the year.
- Completes other projects and duties as assigned.
- Attends all education programs, which requires at least 2 weeks of travel annually.
- Assists in making programmatic updates when needed to meet the Society’s goals.
- Shares the Society’s commitment to diversity, equity, accessibility and inclusion (DEAI)
- Outstanding and effective interpersonal skills; along with strong communication skills both verbal and written.
- Self-motivated, organized, efficient and process-oriented.
- Strong work ethic with the ability to work well under pressure in a dynamic environment.
- Understanding of and interest in systems and system development.
- Strong business acumen and in-depth analytical skills.
- Familiarity with data management and data gathering
Prior Education and Experience
- BA/BS degree in any discipline
- Knowledge and experience in Microsoft Suite – Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.
- A degree in education or a STEM field
- Interest or experience with event organization, volunteer management and/or non-profit management.
- Interest or experience in accounting processes or grant management
- Interest or experience with outreach and equity programs for students and teachers
- Multilingual, especially in Spanish, or having a lived experience similar to groups underrepresented in STEM
- Experience with online application and evaluation systems
This role’s work involves remaining in a stationary position most of the time in front of a computer, using a keyboard, mouse, and telephone. It also involves regularly operating a computer and other office equipment, occasionally moving about the work site to access file cabinets office equipment and communicating or exchanging information with co-workers and other individuals in person or electronically. Must be able to travel.
Society staff are working remotely with 20% time in the office each month. This in-office requirement will be reviewed in December 2022 and may adjust or increase. This position will be based in Washington, DC.
Society for Science has mandated the COVID-19 vaccine for employees, as applicable. Exceptions to the vaccine requirement may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons.
Please select the following link to apply through Applicant Pro https://www.applicantpro.com/openings/societyforscience/jobs/2644591-560473
To be considered for this position please submit a cover letter and professional resume.
About Society for Science
Society for Science (Society) is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) membership organization dedicated to public engagement in scientific research and education. Our vision is to promote the understanding and appreciation of science and the vital role it plays in human advancement; to inform, educate, and inspire. We do this work through our award-winning Science News media group and world-class science competitions: the Regeneron Science Talent Search (STS), the Regeneron International Science and Engineering Fair (Regeneron ISEF), and Broadcom MASTERS (Math, Applied Science, Technology and Engineering for Rising Stars). Regeneron ISEF and Broadcom MASTERS begin at local, regional, state, and national fairs that affiliate with the Society to participate. This network includes more than 400 science fairs representing more than 70 countries, regions, and territories.
Society statement: We must work together to build a future without racism that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion. No matter who you are or where you come from, you are welcome at the Society. We support an inclusive workplace where associates excel based on personal merit and job performance.
The Society is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. The Society recruits, hires, trains, promotes, compensates, and administers all personnel actions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, ancestry, medical condition, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law.