The Society for Science & the Public (Society) is looking for a talented Art Director to join our Design team. This position would report to the Chief Design Officer, working closely with the Design Operations Manager and design peers. Our ideal candidate is someone with strong interpersonal skills that can work collaboratively with key stakeholders from different departments of the Society.
There are three main ways the Society promotes science — through science competitions, science education and science journalism. For this position, the Art Director will support each of these three areas of work with effective visual style and communication. The design department and art directors play a vital role at the Society, building equity for a greater interest in science to the public while also maintaining brand stewardship internally.
This is a time when science literacy is most important for the community at large. We are looking for someone with conceptual skills that will be able to evolve our brand and the products created by the Society. The role includes concept and design of print and web collateral, swag for marketing opportunities, photo shoots, and much more. If you have the skills and would like to join us in our mission, we encourage you to apply.
Job duties include, but are not limited to
- Provide art direction and design support for all Society programs and events organized by the Society which includes our three main science competitions: Regeneron Science Talent Search (STS), Regeneron International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF) and Broadcom MASTERS
- Cultivate, recruit, negotiate SOW and manage freelance artists and designers for custom art for projects
- On-site art direct, manage and produce photoshoots, working with photographers for live and studio sessions (some travel required)
- Support the advancement department on fundraising goals which includes direct mail, alumni events and meeting/pitch materials
- Collaborate with the marketing department on campaigns and collateral that elevate membership acquisition/conversion plan for Science News Media Group’s membership strategy
- Provide art direction and supervision for on-site and remote freelance designers
- Strategize, create and implement compelling ad campaigns (both sprints and long-term) for the Society and Science News Media Group
- Support Editorial team when needed
- Manage assigned tasks/projects in Asana project management system, working with the design operations manager for effectively tracking projects and maintaining milestones
- Strong conceptual and design production skills
- Expert using Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign/Illustrator/Photoshop)
- Full knowledge of printing and web production
- Full knowledge of printing and web production
- Understanding of publication design and production
- Knowledge of working with project management systems preferred
- Great understanding of best web practices
This is an on-site full-time position. Our office is located near the Dupont Circle and Farragut North Metro stations. Due to current pandemic restrictions, the art director position will work remotely until at least June 15, 2021 with possible extensions.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
- Minimum of 2 years’ art directing experience
- Experience art directing freelance artist and photographers preferred
How to Apply
Send your resume, cover letter and a PDF of your portfolio/case studies to email@example.com. Emails should include “Art Director” in the subject line. If you have questions, feel free to call 202-872-5119.
About the Society
Society for Science & the Public is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) membership organization dedicated to public engagement in scientific research and education. Our vision is to promote the understanding and appreciation of science and the vital role it plays in human advancement; to inform, educate, and inspire. We do this work through our award-winning Science News Media Group and world-class science competitions: Regeneron STS, Regeneron ISEF, and Broadcom MASTERS. Regeneron ISEF and Broadcom MASTERS begin at local, regional, state, and national fairs that affiliate with the Society to participate. This network includes more than 400 science fairs representing more than 70 countries, regions, and territories.
The Society is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Society for Science & the Public is committed to equal employment opportunity. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, the Society does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis, including but not limited to: veteran status, race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identify or expression, ancestry, national origin, disability, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, age and/or any other categories protected by the laws of the United States or the District of Columbia.