The Advancement Intern works with a vibrant fundraising team – encompassing annual giving, corporate and foundation relations, major gifts, and development operations. The intern will help Society for Science & the Public improve our data and communications with alumni, members, and donors, streamline internal processes, plan our approach to corporations and major foundations, and report to donors on the impact of their giving.
Start date is negotiable. Applicants planning to receive course credit for this internship should provide any necessary information regarding requirements to the Society.
- Perform substantive, comprehensive research projects
- Identify potential institutional and individual sponsors for Science News in High Schools program
- Assist with identifying potential major gift or institutional giving prospects via online research and writing brief memos
- Assist with sponsorship benefit fulfillment during 2022 International Science and Engineering Fair held in May 2022 in both virtual and in-person formats
- Perform data entry and analysis using Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge tracking competition alumni and their family members
- Assist with data integrity of major gift portfolios
- Analyze and organize department shared files to maximize efficiency and improve usage
- Proofread various materials including donor letters, proposals, sponsorship documents, etc.
- Assist with general administrative duties
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Database experience preferred (Raiser’s Edge, Access, Excel)
- Customer service experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- High attention to detail and demonstrated proactive and strategic approach to daily tasks
- Proficiency with Internet searches
- Demonstrated ability to work with others as a team
- Understanding of and affinity for the core values of the Society
Due to the pandemic, the Society has a temporary remote work policy.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to operate a computer and other office equipment.
Position Type and Expected Hours
This is a part-time internship with a term of 6 months. The Advancement Intern will work 15-35 hours per week and will be paid a rate of $15 per hour. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday during normal office hours of the Society.
Required Education and Experience
Interns must be current undergraduate or graduate students. Preference is given to students who are considering careers at educational institutions or non-profits and/or have an interest in fundraising, membership, institutional giving, alumni relations, communications, advancement, or audience development.
How To Apply
Submit your application here: https://www.applicantpro.com/openings/societyforscience/jobs/2177547-560507
The Society is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Society for Science is committed to equal employment opportunity. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, the Society does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis, including but not limited to: veteran status, race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, ancestry, national origin, disability, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, age and/or any other categories protected by the laws of the United States or the District of Columbia.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover every duty, responsibility and activity that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.