The Advancement Intern works with a vibrant fundraising team – encompassing annual giving, corporate and foundation relations, major gifts, and development operations. The intern will help Society for Science & the Public improve our data and communications with alumni, members, and donors, streamline internal processes, plan our approach to corporations and major foundations, and report to donors on the impact of their giving.
Start date is negotiable. Applicants planning to receive course credit for this internship should provide any necessary information regarding requirements to the Society.
- Perform substantive, comprehensive research projects
- Assist with identifying potential major gift or institutional giving prospects via online research and writing brief memos
- Perform data entry and analysis using Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge
- Assist with data integrity of major gift portfolios
- Identify potential sponsors for Science News in High Schools program
- Build logistics and templates for direct marketing plan
- Assist with year-round fundraising campaigns
- Analyze and organize department shared files to maximize efficiency and improve usage
- Proofread various materials including donor letters, proposals, sponsorship documents, etc.
- Assist with general administrative duties
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Database experience preferred (Raiser’s Edge, Access, Excel)
- Customer service experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- High attention to detail and demonstrated proactive and strategic approach to daily tasks
- Proficiency with Internet searches
- Demonstrated ability to work with others as a team
- Understanding of and affinity for the core values of the Society
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in an office setting. Our office is located near the Dupont Circle and Farragut North Metro stations. This position usually works in an office setting but will temporarily work from home until at least June 15, 2021 with possible extensions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to operate a computer and other office equipment.
Position Type and Expected Hours
This is a part-time internship with a term of 3-6 months. The Advancement Intern will work 15-35 hours per week and will be paid a rate of $15 per hour. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday during normal office hours of the Society.
Required Education and Experience
Interns must be current undergraduate or graduate students. Preference is given to students who are considering careers at educational institutions or non-profits and/or have an interest in fundraising, membership, institutional giving, alumni relations, communications, advancement, or audience development.
How To Apply
Send your resume and cover letter to Lisa Russell-Mina, Director of Major Gifts at firstname.lastname@example.org. Emails should include “Advancement Internship” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
The Society is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Society for Science & the Public is committed to equal employment opportunity. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, the Society does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis, including but not limited to: veteran status, race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, ancestry, national origin, disability, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, age and/or any other categories protected by the laws of the United States or the District of Columbia.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover every duty, responsibility and activity that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.