Provide entry-level accounting support for the Society in the areas of Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and General Ledger. This include transaction processing (invoices, cash receipts, credit cards, and collections); account reconciliations; preparing and processing journal entries; maintaining detailed tracking schedules, and assisting in the monthly, quarterly and year-end financial close.
- Ensure all disbursements (checks and wires) follow Society guidelines for approval and review
- Process and approve invoices in Concur
- Process expense reimbursements, international wires and student award payments
- Create payment batches in PNC
- Communicate with departments and vendors to resolve issues/discrepancies relating to invoices and payments
- Prepare and enter journal entries for prepaids and month end invoice accruals
- Reconcile assigned general ledger accounts on a monthly basis (including accounts payable, prepaids and other liability accounts) for monthly closing process
- Reconcile student awards schedule on a monthly basis
- Assist with financial audit as needed
- Maintain Vendor and Journal Entry files
- Assist with administrative duties, as needed
- Other duties, as may be assigned
- Candidate will have experience with general ledger (preferably with Sage MIP)
- Advance skills using spreadsheet (Excel), word processing and other Microsoft office software
- Candidate will be detail oriented and able to handle multiple tasks
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Experience with not-for-profit accounting is preferred
Required Education and Experience
- Candidate will preferably have a bachelor’s degree in accounting
- Candidate will have 1-3 years in related experience in G/L, A/P, and A/R
How to Apply
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Emails should include “Accounting Specialist” in the subject line. They can be addressed to Edward Maxwell, Director of Finance. No phone calls please.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position, Monday to Friday (8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.). Our core hours are between 10 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. ET; flexible start and end time allowed upon supervisor approval.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover every duty, responsibility and activity that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The Society for Science is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
The Society is committed to equal employment opportunity. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, the Society does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on the basis of veteran status, race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, ancestry, national origin, disability, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, age and/or any other categories protected by the laws of the United States or the District of Columbia.