In order to elevate the strategic, integrated leadership of its annual giving and membership efforts, the Society for Science & the Public (the Society) has created the position of Director of Annual Giving and Membership (the Director). This is a unique opportunity to develop and lead a direct response giving program for a preeminent scientific organization with a 95-year legacy and more than 100,000 active constituents.
- The Director is responsible for overseeing and leading the growth of the Society’s annual giving and membership programs by applying a mix of strategies and tactics, including developing creative appeals, applying strategic segmentation, and conducting testing and analytics.
- The Director will use data-driven approaches to create innovative strategies to develop broad donor engagement critical to increased philanthropic support.
- Working with Society leadership, alumni, and volunteers, the Director will create an annual plan for raising funds from new and renewed supporters in the range of $100 to $5,000, and execute that plan.
- Working with the Marketing team, the Director will develop and execute a program for donors in the higher level membership recognition societies.
- The Director will ensure that the direct response program is a leader among peer organizations by staying abreast of membership and annual giving trends and key performance indicators.
- The Director reports to the Chief Advancement Officer and oversees two staff members.
- The Director will work with other advancement staff on alumni relations, institutional giving, annual giving, and other department functions.
- The Director will help ensure that annual and membership gift stewardship needs are fulfilled.
- Bachelor’s degree required, related advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years, 7-10 years preferred, of progressively responsible leadership experience in nonprofit membership or annual giving.
- Prior fundraising experience on behalf of a scientific or educational organization is preferred.
- Experience working directly with the most senior levels of an organization.
- Demonstrated ability to provide management oversight, leadership, and direction with at least 5 years of significant supervisory experience.
- Deep understanding of direct response programs, including digital marketing, direct mail, and telemarketing efforts.
- Broad knowledge of professional practices and procedures for advancement and membership.
- Particular strength in developing strategic and comprehensive direct response fundraising plans, and executing against those plans to achieve goals and objectives.
- Demonstrated data-driven focus on growth, efficiency, and increased net revenue to support operations.
- Experience in collaborating with and managing budgets and tasks of external vendors.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication and presentation skills. Demonstrated ability to simplify complex themes and activities into a short, compelling presentation or written piece.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills, ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and to meet deadlines. Ability to develop long-term plans, set objectives, and track progress toward achieving objectives.
- Strong work ethic and willingness to tackle administrative tasks ranging from data entry to direct solicitation.
- Demonstrated commitment to and understanding of the Society’s values and principles.
- Experience with donor database management and systems to track campaigns and ensure complete, secure and private donor and campaign records.
How to apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
About the Society for Science & the Public
Society for Science & the Public is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) membership organization dedicated to public engagement in scientific research and education. Its vision is to promote the understanding and appreciation of science and the vital role it plays in human advancement: to inform, educate, and inspire.
Society for Science & the Public has a staff of 75, with a growing communications function. Under new leadership from Maya Ajmera, the President and CEO, the organization is in a growth mode, adding staff at a rapid pace to support the growing programs. The Society relies heavily on its corporate partners and nationwide membership to raise more than $22 million annually to fund its programs. The organization’s professional staff provides editorial, management, and administrative support for publishing Science Newsas well as world class science competitions, from its national office in Washington, D.C. Since its founding, the Society has conveyed the excitement of science and research directly to the public through its award-winning publications and world-class science education competitions.
In 2008, Science Service became Society for Science & the Public in order to better reflect the mission of the organization to advocate for science in the public interest. In 2013, the Society began offering an all-in-one membership and subscription program that allows subscribers to access Science News in their preferred format and launched a new website that unifies its award-winning publications with its science education and competition programs.