The Development Associate for Institutional Giving is a position established to meet the needs of the greatly expanding institutional giving operation within the Society. This position will provide support for all institutional giving fundraising activities, including institutional and family foundations, corporations, government agencies, associations and other entities. The Development Associate will work within the Advancement department under the Director of Institutional Giving.
The Society for Science & the Public is most well-known for our award-winning magazine, Science News, and our world class science research competitions: Regeneron Science Talent Search, Regeneron International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF) and Broadcom MASTERS. Most recently, and for the past five years, we have focused on building our portfolio of Outreach and Equity programs. Our efforts in this area are already impacting millions of students at thousands of schools and education programs in all 50 states and globally.
- Support the entire institutional giving cycle (identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship).
- Maintain an accurate calendar with all key institutional giving deadlines, especially proposal and report due dates.
- Assist with the identification and research of institutional giving prospects.
- Enter data into Raiser’s Edge fundraising database including gifts, prospect information and appeal and mailing solicitation coding.
- Assist with reporting and stewardship, including sponsor benefits fulfillment.
- Prepare materials for internal and external meetings.
- Communicate with the Advancement team and troubleshoot issues as needed.
- Excellent oral, written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and highly organized.
- High level of professionalism and time management capacities.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and project management software.
- Proficiency in Raiser’s Edge database or comparable donor management software.
- Familiarity with prospect research tools (Foundation Directory, Guidestar, Research Point or similar systems).
- Demonstrated ability to work with others as a team, to multi-task and to be a self-starter.
- Understanding and affinity for the core values of the Society.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in an office setting.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to operate a computer and other office equipment.
Position Type and Expected Hours
- This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday during normal office hours of the Society. Up to 10 percent travel to the science competitions and other events is necessary in this position.
Required Education and Experience
- 2-3 years’ experience in development/fundraising or similar atmosphere.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
How to Apply
Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Emails should include “Development Associate Institutional Giving” in the subject line. They can be addressed to Bruce Makous, Chief Advancement Officer. No phone calls please.
The Society is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Society for Science & the Public is committed to equal employment opportunity. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, the Society does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis, including but not limited to: veteran status, race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identify or expression, ancestry, national origin, disability, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, age and/or any other categories protected by the laws of the United States or the District of Columbia.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover every duty, responsibility and activity that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.