The Society for Science & the Public seeks a smart, hard-working and creative Communications Associate with a strong interest in STEM education and public relations for our growing Communications Department. The Communications Associate will assist with the coordination of Society for Science & the Public’s communication efforts. The ideal candidate will be a problem solver and self-starter with strong written and oral communications skills.
Reporting directly to the Chief Communications Officer, the Communications Associate will have 1-3 years of full-time professional work experience (applicable internship experience acceptable).
Job Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Drafting blog posts and providing social media support
- Pitching story ideas to media and securing coverage
- Conducting background research of media and other third party stakeholders
- Maintaining contact databases and developing media lists
- Attending events and meetings and preparing follow-up reports
- Travel to all science competitions organized by the Society for Science & the Public is mandatory
- Monitoring relevant print, broadcast, and online coverage of Society issues and events
- Assist with drafting press releases and coordinating press conferences
- Assist with coordinating public speaking engagements
- Excellent attention to detail and high standard of work output.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- High level of professionalism and time management skills.
- Experience with social media and tools related to media outreach, including Cision.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel).
- A flexible, collaborative, and collegial work style.
Required Education and Experience
- B.A. degree or equivalent experience required.
- Between 1 to 3 years of relevant, full-time professional work experience required.
Please send cover letter with salary requirements and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls please.