Intel STS 2010 Winners are Announced
Forty of America’s brightest high school seniors came to the nation’s capital from March 10-16 to compete for one of America’s most prestigious science honors and $630,000 in awards.
Intel and SSP are honored to announce the top winners:
- First Place: Erika DeBenedictis, 18, Albuquerque, NM ($100,000)
- Second Place: David Liu, 18, Saratoga, CA ($75,000)
- Third Place: Akhil Mathew, 18, Madison, NJ ($50,000)
- Fourth Place: Lynnelle Ye, 18, Palo Alto, CA ($40,000)
- Fifth Place: Eric Brooks, 16, Hewlett, NY ($30,000)
- Sixth Place: John Capodilupo, 18, of Grand Rapids, MI ($25,000)
- Seventh Place: Benjamen Sun, 17, of Grand Forks, ND ($25,000)
- Eighth Place: Katherine Rudolph, 18, of Naperville, IL ($20,000)
- Ninth Place: Yale Fan, 18, of Beaverton, OR ($20,000)
- Tenth Place: Linda Zhou, 18, of River Edge, NJ ($20,000)
All of the Finalists of the Intel Science Talent Search 2010 (Intel STS) presented their research projects to the public, took part in rigorous interviews with the world’s leading scientists, and were honored at a black-tie awards gala on March 16 where esteemed writer and New York Times columnist Tom Friedman gave the keynote address.
2010 SSP Fellows Announced
On March 10, SSP announced selection of the second class of the SSP Fellows Program. Ten teachers from across the United States were named for their unique plans to reach students in underserved communities and to inspire excellence in independent scientific research.
- Marie A. Aloia – Bayonne High School, Bayonne, NJ
- Anne Artz – The Preuss School UCSD, La Jolla, CA
- Sydney Bergman – School Without Walls, Washington, DC
- Kathleen Dwyer – Maplewood Richmond Heights High School, Maplewood, MO
- Randa Flinn – Northeast High School, Oakland Park, FL
- Richard Anthony Fox – Charlestown High School, Charlestown, MA
- Ashley A. Ivins – Carrizozo Municipal Schools, Carrizozo, NM
- Michael Lampert – West Salem High School, Salem, OR
- Tim B. Lundt – Mat-Su Career & Technical High School, Wasilla, AK
- Melanie Schwarzbach- Box Elder High School, Box Elder, MT
SSP Fellows | Announcement Press Release | 2009 SSP Fellows Class
SSP Alumni News
Roger Tsien, the 1968 STS First Place Winner and 2008 Nobel Prize Winner in Chemistry, recently shared his thoughts on science and life with the 2010 Intel STS Finalists at the annual Alumni Dinner held during the Science Talent Institute. Read More
SSP Alumni Program
SSP is mounting an effort to reconnect with alumni and to help them reconnect with each other. Our goal is to build a network of the inspired and inspiring individuals who have participated in our programs over the past seven decades. Part of that effort involves including alumni news in this newsletter. If you, or another alumnus you know, have any news you would like to share, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Science News Headlines
From the pages of Science News:
Today's Headlines | Subscribe | Science News for Kids
Did someone forward this to you and you want to have it delivered monthly to your inbox as well? Sign up here!
This newsletter is published by Society for Science & the Public. SSP sends this newsletter to members, volunteers, and other interested individuals. If you believe you received this incorrectly, please let us know. Contact email@example.com.