The Society for Science & the Public's growing Alumni program is looking for an enthusiastic, high-energy, and highly organized intern to support our Alumni research and events initiatives. The Alumni Relations internship is intended for people planning careers at educational institutions or non-profits with an interest in alumni relations, communications, fundraising and development, institutional advancement, and/or event planning. It is offered three times a year for at least a three-month stay within the following periods: spring (January to April), summer (May to August), and fall (September to December).
Interns will work 15 hours per week at the Society's Washington, D.C. offices and receive a stipend of $400 every two weeks.
Interns must be current undergraduate or graduate students. Preference is given to alumni of the Society's education competitions and students with an interest and participation in STEM news, research, or education. Applicants planning to receive course credit for this internship should provide any necessary information regarding requirements to the Society. One applicant will be selected.
- Perform substantive, comprehensive research projects on the Society's alumni.
- Help plan and coordinate alumni events.
- Assist Alumni Relations Specialist with research and content preparation for quarterly newsletter and social media accounts. Create first drafts of blog posts, newsletter articles, and communications to Society alumni.
- Draft and format content for Society Alumni webpages.
- Catalogue and edit photos using Adobe PhotoShop.
- Assist with general administrative duties.
- Applicants possessing the following skills are highly encouraged to apply:
- Strong skills in Excel.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills, including Internet research.
- Interest in historical research, archiving, and cataloguing information.
- Database experience preferred (Raiser’s Edge, Access).
- Customer service experience.
- Creative problem-solving skills.
- Experience working with archives, documentation strongly preferred.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Emails should include “Alumni Intern” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
The Society is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Society for Science & the Public is committed to equal employment opportunity. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, the Society does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis, including but not limited to: veteran status, race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identify or expression, ancestry, national origin, disability, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, age and/or any other categories protected by the laws of the United States or the District of Columbia.