Society for Science & the Public seeks a dynamic and self-motivated Advancement Intern to work with a vibrant advancement team – encompassing annual giving, corporate and foundation relations, major gifts, and development operations – to help us communicate with alumni and donors, streamline internal processes, plan our approach to corporations and major foundations, and report to donors on the impact of their giving.
The internship will be a key part of a fast-paced office of seasoned development professionals, advancing an organization that excels in cutting-edge science journalism and science competition experiences for middle school and high school students around the world.
Interns must be current undergraduate or graduate students. Preference is given to students who are considering careers at educational institutions or non-profits and/or have an interest in fundraising, membership, institutional giving, alumni relations, communications, advancement, or audience development.
This intern will work 15-35 hours per week at the Society’s Washington, D.C. offices near Dupont Circle and will be paid a rate of $15 per hour. Start date is negotiable. Applicants planning to receive course credit for this internship should provide any necessary information regarding requirements to the Society.
Possible duties include:
- Perform substantive, comprehensive research projects
- Assist with identifying potential major gift or institutional giving prospects via online research and writing brief memos
- Perform data entry and analysis using Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge
- Assist with data integrity of major gift portfolios
- Identify potential sponsors for Science News in High Schools program
- Build logistics and templates for direct marketing plan
- Assist with year-round fundraising campaigns
- Analyze and organize department shared files to maximize efficiency and improve usage
- Proofread various materials including donor letters, proposals, sponsorship documents,etc.
- Assist with general administrative duties
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Database experience preferred (Raiser’s Edge, Access, Excel)
- Customer service experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office: Word, Excel,PowerPoint, Outlook
- High attention to detail and demonstrated proactive and strategic approach to daily tasks
- Proficient with Internet searches
- Demonstrated ability to work with others as a team
How to Apply:
- Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
- Emails should include “Advancement Intern” in the subject line. They can be addressed to Bruce Makous, Chief Advancement Officer. No phone calls please.
- To learn more about Society for Science & the Public, please visit www.societyforscience.org.